Chlorella Muesli Bar Recipe
By Brandi Black, RHN
If there’s one thing that gets in the way of reaching your health goals, it’s unhealthy snacking. When you’re on-the-go and trying to keep up with the demands of a busy schedule, it’s natural to reach for the first thing you see that provides you with sustenance and a quick energy boost. An easy way to avoid reaching for potato chips, crackers, cookies, or other processed foods that provide no nutrition (and make you feel tired and heavy), is to always keep homemade energy bars on hand.
These homemade chlorella muesli bars require minimal preparation and can be ready in under 30 minutes, which means you won’t have to spend all of your down time in the kitchen. Prepare a batch on a Sunday afternoon, and you’ll have enough bars for the week (plus, a few extra to freeze or share).
Unlike store-bought energy bars, these chlorella muesli bars are flavorful, and are loaded with healthy fats from coconut oil, almond butter, and almonds. The healthy fats will help balance your blood sugar levels and keep your appetite satisfied until your next meal (this makes them perfect for before or after the gym). Best of all, we’ve added chlorella powder, which enhances the bar’s nutritional value.*
If you’re not so sure about having algae in your granola bars, trust us on this one: you won’t even know it’s there thanks to the warm notes of vanilla extract, maple syrup, and light brown sugar. By adding chlorella to your recipes, you receive active B12 (the form of B12 that’s best absorbed by the body) and Chlorella Growth Factor (CGF), a nutrient only found in chlorella that helps with cellular repair and regeneration. And when your cells are fueled with proper nutrition, you have more energy for the things in life you love to do the most.*
Yield: 12 bars
Special Equipment Required
3 Tbsp raw unsalted almond butter
2.5 Tbsp coconut oil
3 Tbsp light brown sugar
3.5 Tbsp maple syrup
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1.5-2 tsp Sun Chlorella Powder
1 3/4 cup gluten free certified rolled oats
1 cup rice bubbles
1/2 cup unsalted almonds, roughly chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line an 8”x8” baking tin with parchment paper.
2. Heat the almond butter, coconut oil, light brown sugar, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and salt in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until mixture thickens slightly.
3. Add the rolled oats, rice bubbles, Sun Chlorella Powder, and half of the almonds to the almond butter mixture and stir until incorporated.
4. Press the mixture into the 8”x8” baking tin and sprinkle the rest of the almonds on top. Press the almonds down gently.
5. Bake for around 15 minutes or until the top and edges are golden brown.
6. Once cooled, peel off the parchment paper, cut into slices, and enjoy!
Author: Brandi Black, RHN