Let’s face it: when you’re stressed out, you’re more likely to reach for a chocolate bar or bag of chips than a healthy homemade energy bar. While your mind may tell you to make the healthier choice, the sugary, calorie dense foods almost always win when you’re stressed out. But I have news: the sugar cravings are not your fault. In fact, one of the most common symptoms of stress are sugar cravings, which also suggests you have elevated cortisol levels.
Cortisol: The Stress Hormone Behind Your Sugar Cravings
What is Eleuthero?
Healthy Homemade Energy Bar Recipe with Organic Sun Eleuthero
These healthy homemade energy bars are made with Sun Eleuthero, an adaptogen that increases energy and helps fight stress
● 1 1/4 cups cooked quinoa
● 1 ripe banana
● 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut + extra to sprinkle on top
● 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
● the juice of 2 freshly squeezed limes
● 3/4 cup dates, soaked for 1-2 hours with pits removed
● 2 tbsp Sun Eleuthero Extract
● 1/2 cup raw almond butter
● 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted + extra to grease the baking sheet
● also optional: top with a touch of nut butter (sunflower seed butter on top of these...I have no words for just how good that tasted!)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Place all ingredients except the quinoa in your food processor and blend until smooth.
3. Add mixture and cooked quinoa in a large mixing bowl.
4. Once all ingredients are combined, grease an 8 x 8 glass baking dish and place the mixture evenly throughout the dish, and sprinkle additional coconut.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until slightly golden around the edges.
6. Let cool and enjoy! These bars can be individually wrapped in plastic wrap as a quick grab-n-go stress-busting snack, or stored in the freezer for later. Keep refrigerated in a glass, airtight container.
Author: Brandi Black, RHN