FREE Ground Shipping and USPS Priority Shipping on U.S. online orders over $30.
Chlorella Yogurt Parfait
By Brandi Black, RHN
Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
What’s green, loaded with antioxidants, can be eaten for breakfast, and isn’t a green smoothie? A chlorella yogurt parfait, of course.
This chlorella yogurt parfait is perfect for the days you want something crunchy and creamy for breakfast, but don’t want to skip out on your greens.
Layers of dairy free vanilla yogurt, crunchy granola, heart shaped strawberry slices, and vegan mini chips make this breakfast idea instagram-worthy and even passable for dessert.
Are Yogurt Parfaits Healthy?
Not all yogurt parfaits are healthy, but making them at home means you get to control which ingredients go in them— and therefore, they can be as healthy as you choose.
By selecting quality ingredients and avoiding refined sugar, yogurt parfaits are a healthy treat that can fuel you with proper nutrition.
Store Bought vs. Homemade Yogurt Parfaits (And How to Make Yours Healthier)
Store-bought yogurt parfaits are often loaded with sugar-filled jams, preservatives, and heavily processed granola that’s cooked in low grade vegetable oils (such as canola, safflower, or sunflower oil).
On the other hand, making a homemade yogurt parfait with a plant based yogurt means you’ll get a healthy dose of gut-supportive probiotics without added hormones or antibiotics.
You can also choose an oil-free store bought granola or you can bake your own at home using organic
rolled oats, cinnamon, unsweetened dried fruit, a touch of maple syrup, and coconut or olive oil (which provides a dose of healthy fats).
Of course, we went one step further and “upgraded” this yogurt parfait recipe by adding the amazing green superfood, chlorella. Although you may not typically think of adding algae to your yogurt parfaits, with the flavors of fresh fruit, granola, mini chips, and vanilla yogurt, you won’t even know it’s there (well, aside from the pretty green color).
Packed with antioxidant vitamins and minerals such as beta-carotene, Sun Chlorella powder is an excellent food to add to your recipes for fighting occasional fatigue, supporting immunity, and carrying you through your day with a steady supply of energy.
Chlorella is particularly beneficial for those who follow a vegan or vegetarian diet because it’s one of the rare plant foods to contain a highly absorbable form of B12, called active B12.
So, now that you’re an expert on making healthy yogurt parfaits, let’s get started on the recipe!
Yield: 4 servings
4 Cups Dairy-free vanilla yogurt
2 Tsp Sun Chlorella Powder
1 lb Strawberries
1 Cup Blueberries
2 Cups Granola
2 Tsp of vegan mini chocolate chips (we used Enjoy Life)
1. Wash and cut the strawberries vertically into very thin pieces (to get a nice heart shape).
2. Stick the thinly cut strawberry pieces to the bottom part of glass (They should stick naturally if you cut them thin enough).
3. Spoon in the plain, dairy-free vanilla yogurt about 1/3 of the way.
4. Add ½ cup of granola as the next layer. Pat down flat to get yogurt lines even.
5. Mix the rest of your yogurt with the Sun Chlorella Powder – Mix until yogurt turns green.
5. Layer the chlorella yogurt on top of the granola, to about ¾ of the glass.
6. Add another thin layer of granola on top.
7. Add another dollop of vanilla yogurt on top of the granola.
8. Top with desired toppings, like blueberries, chocolate chips, and nut butter.
Author: Brandi Black, RHN